Lucas Blogs About The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl, Volume 7


So, what's this book's deal?

Well, Hypothetical Reader, the deal with The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl, Volume 7 - I've Been Waiting for a Squirrel Like You is that it's the seventh (eighth if you count the graphic novel The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl Beats Up the Marvel Universe) entry in Ryan North and Erica Henderson's Eisner-award-winning series about a super hero who eats nuts and kicks butts! Volume 7 finds computer science students Doreen Green (Squirrel Girl's alter-ego) and Nancy Whitehead (Squirrel Girl's roommate and best human friend) entering a programming contest that ultimately results in them winning a free trip to Marvel's Savage Lands where dinosaurs roam a tropical forest hidden in Antartica. Oh, and it includes an issue done up as a Zine with mini comics written and drawn by various Squirrel Girl characters featuring several guest artists.

I hesitate to ask this, but aren't you kind of outside of the target audience for this?

Maybe, but you already know that won't stop me from enjoying something. But in all honesty, Squirrel Girl is a fun, funny comic book that anyone who's ever experienced joy in their life can enjoy.

Hmm, I'm not sold on the art style.

That's a valid criticism, some people are not fans of Erica Henderson's art. I find it to be expressive and dynamic (pretty sure I've used those descriptors in another comics review). Other people find it cartoony or off-putting. But if it's not your jam you don't have to consume it.

But you're recommending the book, could I still get something out of it if I don't like the art?

Well, even if you don't like the way it looks, you could very well enjoy the writing. North gives the series a fun comic voice that's grounded by the lead's compassion and empathy. In spite of the fact that she often talks a big game about kicking butts, Squirrel Girl is just as likely to resolve a situation by befriending her foes.

Oh, like Goku in Dragon Ball?

Not really. . . actually, kinda. Or like Aang in Avatar: The Last Airbender or like Steven Universe in Steven Universe.

Is this one of those things where I could just jump in at Volume 7?

Probaly, but I'd still recommend that you start with the first volume, Squirrel Power.

Do all the volumes have squirrel/girl puns for titles?

Do squirrels hoard nuts?

You know they do.

I do. Another fun feature of reading these comics is that they expose you to all manner of squirrel facts/computer science concepts. Like in one issue Squirrel Girl teaches Count Nefaria how to count in binary on his fingers.

Wait a minute. . . did you just say that you can use your fingers to count in binary?

Yeah, in fact, I can count up to 1023 if I use both hands.

Fascinating. But I feel like we're getting off track.

And how! Speaking of "Off track." One of my Squirrel Girl complaints is that there's often little bonus jokes in the bottom margin, but they're difficult to read because they're in small yellowish print. So if I'm too tired to squint at it, I feel like I've missed added humor value.

So your complaint is that there's too much humor? Too many jokes?

Is that a bad complaint? Anyway, Squirrel Girl comics have consistently brought me enjoyment and laughter over the last few years. If it's not for you, that's fine. It's fine. You're fine. We're fine. Everything's fine. It's fine.

Are you okay, Lucas?

I'm fine.

The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl, Vol. 7 - I've Been Waiting for a Squirrel Like You by Ryan North (writer), Erica Henderson (artist), and Rico Renzi (colorist) plus a bunch of guest artists, Marvel Trade Paperback edition, 2018, 128 pages, pairs well with nuts, and nut-flavored candies

Links:

Squirrel Girl hasn't appeared in the MCU yet, but if she had, Infinity War would have turned out differently.

Apparently, Squirrel Girl is going to be in the cast of the animated Marvel Rising: Initiation along with Ms. Marvel and other superheroes.

Comments